Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Paris, France

Paris






























My love for Paris and French culture really started when I took French class. I had never really gotten a chance to look into their food and cities and way of life and here I was, getting a Americanized glimpse of their lives.
When my love for Phantom of the Opera really started taking off, as did my love for Hunchback of Notre Dame, and with that my love of Paris also over-powered my life.
When I first really began to study Notre Dame, I first felt the full magnitude of its beauty. I have a book just on the cathedral and it's history. I'm not Catholic, but I feel a deep connection with this church. There's something about it's structure and the lighting inside and what it represents. It's so old and mysterious to me. That's why I know I'm going to cry the first time I actually see it. It's been a dream of mine to go to this place for quite some time.
Another reason I adore Paris so much is the language. I love the French language a lot (which is why I struggled in ASL.) And the food! I could seriously only eat croissants for the rest of my life and be totally happy.
Another thing that makes Paris special to me is the history behind it. For some reason, I really love French History. A lot. Marie Antoinette is one of the most fascinating historical figures (in my opinion.) There's so much mystery behind her. Did she really do those things because she was petty, or was there some reason behind her actions.
I believe a book I read on her once also helped further my desire to go to France. I love historical fiction a lot (which I only recently discovered about myself.) This book (Queen's Confession) grabbed me and pulled me deeper in to the French way of life and French history in general.
So that's why I want to go to Paris, as of right now. In like a week I could have completely different reasons for going. OH! And I reeeally want to see the opera houses in Paris! :D
So that's Paris, soon I hope to discuss a place I've actually been.
~Sherilyn




2 comments:

  1. Very cool!

    I promise I'm not trying to rub it in your face that I went (I promise!) but, this here: "I could seriously only eat croissants for the rest of my life and be totally happy." That's what I thought until I went. Croissants every morning for breakfast and almost every afternoon with lunch. By the time I was in a hotel with non-bread/croissant foods (9 days in to the trip), I was dying for something like plain cereal xD But maybe you could really pull off eating them every day and not getting sick of them :P

    Also, as for all of the places you pointed out here, I just have to second your opinion that seeing them in person is absolutely amazing. Paris was my least favorite place on the trip BUT I did love the architecture; all of these things made me feel like I wasn't just looking at history, I was in it. It's so cool and if you ever get a chance to go to Paris or France in general, do go. It's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blaah I just remembered that I forgot The Louvre! Anyway, we have croissants at home from Costco all the time and I normally eat about 2 a day when we do that, so I probably wouldn't get too sick of them. :P
      I think Paris means so much to me simply because of the history. If I didn't love theater so much, I would probably want to be a history major, (seriously, what can you do with a degree in that though?) just because I love knowing history and I love learning about history. My brain can retain certain things more than others and they're song lyrics, movie quotes, and historical dates/figures/events. Which is random and odd, but how I rooolllll.

      Delete