Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Canada (B.C.)

 
Ohhhhh Caaaanada! My home and native laaaaand! (Not really...) Back when the US dollar was worth more than the Canadian, we used to get everything (except fruit and meat) up in Canada. It was closer than Bellingham (as long as the border waits weren't too long) and it was cheaper. I have many memories of going shopping at the Costco and eating at the Wendy's/Tim Hortons. I don't remember what city that was, but I remember that's the one you get to when you cross at the Sumas crossing.
Of course, all of this was back when it was really easy to go back and forth. Now (as an American) you have to either have your passport or your enhanced license. Since I have neither, it's been a few years since I went to Canada. I used to go to the Tradex Dog Show in Abbotsford and do Junior Handling. The best I ever did was 4th, but considering I wasn't a competitor and that I used a dog that wasn't my own every time, I'd say that's pretty good. (Want to see me the year I showed a Great Pyrenees?  Tada! My sister is also showing in this video. Sorry for the terrible music thingy at the beginning. For some reason I thought I was darn good at making videos back then....)
I also remember going and seeing The Black Stallion Returns (I think that's what it was called) and it was in a giant dome thing and I was almost dying from fright and sickness (I'm pretty sure it was IMAX.)
The Olympics! I wasn't allowed into Canada by this point, but I definitely watched them and observed that I have in fact, been there. Part of the Olympics was actually on Baker (which is our local mountain, stateside) and honestly, that's bloody cool to me.
A cool fact about Vancouver BC that a lot of American's don't realize is that Vancouver is the Hollywood of Canada. It's really actually pretty cool to me as (as a borderite) that I live just a stone's throw from where a lot of really cool stuff is filmed. Heck, they film things on this side of the border sometimes too! I believe there are parts of Smallville that are filmed on our country roads. (Don't shun me) Parts of the Twilight series were filmed in the Stanley Park area. Most of the later movies were actually filmed in BC (compared to the first one, which was filmed in Northern Oregon and Southern Washington.)
But anyway, I think Canada is a really cool place. They have some really good musicians/actors and they're basically next door neighbors.
The only complaint I have is their driving skills. Seriously. It can't be that hard to drive well. Well that and they're over-running our Costco. Seriously, it's like impossible for us to shop at our own Costco.
And I shall end this entry with a picture of a really cool place. The Peace Arch Park is a small park where Canadians and Americans can mingle. I love it there. It's so beautiful! And it's hilarious to watch people be stupid when trying to get into Canada and/or America. It's a place where you can be in two countries at once.
This is from the Canadian side.


No comments:

Post a Comment